Howden Reservoir WallAdd to Lightbox Download
Howden Reservoir in Derbyshire, England is Y shaped and the top one of three reservoirs in the Upper Derwent Valley, the middle reservoir being Derwent and the lower being Ladybower both to the south. Between them they provide practically all of Derbyshire's water, as well as a large part of South Yorkshire and as far afield as Nottingham and Leicester. The western side of the reservoir stands in Derbyshire, while the Eastern side is in Sheffield, South Yorkshire. The county border runs through the middle of the reservoir, following the original path of the River Derwent.
Begun in on 16 July 1901 and completed in July 1912 its dam wall has the same neo-Gothic solid masonry dam wall, built from huge stones as the Derwent Reservoir. The Stone was transported along a specially created railway from the quarries at Grindleford. Over 1,000 workers lived in a specially constructed and self-contained town of Birchinlee also known as "Tin Town". The wall is 117ft (36m) tall, 1,080ft (330m) long, and holds back 1,900,000 imperial gallons (8,600kl) of water collected from a catchment area of 5,155 acres (20.86km2).
22 March 2015 Image © Paul David Drabble www.pauldaviddrabble.co.uk
- Derwent Dams 0151.jpg
- © Paul David Drabble
- Image Size
- 4896x3264 / 4.9MB
- Contained in galleries
- 2015-03-22_Derwent Dams